Natural hair and wigs (women's month)


Happy new month everyone.


Personally I love the month of March because I get to celebrate what it means to be a woman, I get to connect with powerful, strong and phenomenal women. As I celebrate the women’s month, I want to discuss a topic which got me thinking for sometime now. It is quite a controversial (I think) and very interesting topic. The issue of African black women, their own hair and wearing wigs and weaves.

This is how it all started; last year around May/June when my Barcroft tv documentary was out I received a lot of support and feedback from people all around the world. Thank you so much. If you have not watched the video, check it out here At some point I was on youtube checking the comments which was nerve wrecking for me but I had to because I wanted to see people’s feedback so I can plan ahead what people expected from me as a motivator. I came across a comment which I found interesting and it was along the lines of if I loved myself as I claimed why I was a wearing a Brazilian wig. I paused and thought about it.



One thing I have realized is that a lot of African women are being judged or questioned their identity because of the hairstyles they rock. I am really happy that a lot of african women are now embracing their hair, skin color and body type. A lot of women are now on “natural hair journey”, and I love it. One of my friends was telling me that now it has become more of a trend than it is being proud of who we are lol. Either way I love the movement.

Personally here is what I think or believe when it comes to my hair as an African woman. I do not like the idea of being classified to a certain type of hairstyle because I am African. I want the freedom to choose whatever hairstyle I feel comfortable. It does not make me less of an African woman because I am rocking a long, straight Brazilian wig. The way I see my clothes is the same way I see my hairstyles. The same way I choose outfits is the same way I choose hairstyles. My hairstyle depends with my mood, outfit, event and season. My identity as an african woman goes beyond the hairstyles I rock. I should be free to choose as long I know my identity and I am comfortable.



I once had a boyfriend who wanted to see me in long straight wigs because he said I looked beautiful that way. I hated my own hair so much because I thought I looked ugly in it. However, deep down all I wanted my own natural hair. I was robbed of my own identity and what I thought was beautiful. When I started rocking my own natural hair that’s when I realized that my identity and beauty goes deep beyond my hairstyles. All I need is the freedom to choose whatever hair I want.


Own your hair with pride African woman. Happy women’s month.

PS: I will be posting new blogs every Thursday, make sure to check it out.

Follow us on all social media platforms: @sinikiwekademaunga


Comments

  1. Have a lovely hair day year! I suspect that most men (apart from your looser ex boyfriend) could not really care about a woman's hair styles or choices.I suspect it is the women themselves who are lacking in affirmation and attach to much importance to their peers and the current fashion of the day.Just go natural girl and embrace the beautiful child of God that you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy women's month Niki am inspired, natural hair all the way

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see your post.Its really informative for me.I also share with my friends.Thanks....
    shoes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just writing to make you understand of the superb discovery our daughter found visiting your blog. She even learned such a lot of issues, which included what it is like to possess a great coaching style to let other folks just have an understanding of some impossible things. You undoubtedly surpassed her expected results. Thank you for imparting the interesting, healthy, revealing and as well as fun guidance on the topic to Jane.
    BUY Womens Sneakers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulation for the great post. Those who come to read your Information will find lots of helpful and informative tips.

    Comfortable Shoes for Women

    ReplyDelete
  6. https://netsoltech.com


    NETSOL Technologies provides superior software solutions & digital enablement solutions for the asset finance & leasing industry worldwide.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are providing technology solution for your business

    ReplyDelete
  8. NETSOL Technologies provides superior software solutions & digital enablement solutions for the asset finance & leasing software industry worldwide.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Self acceptance

The Healing Power of Opening up your Feelings and Thoughts

Let's get personal