Being a teenager comes with different feelings and experiences. This is the time when most young girls and boys starts to experience drugs, relationships etc. It can also be a time when some lost their confidence, self love and hope. Experiencing teenagehood with a disability was a bit difficult for me. Living in a world where there are certain standards of body figure, how one walks and certain fashion for you to be seen as beautiful. Looking at "them" (the one who were called beautiful), I never looked like them and i knew i will never be like them. I thank God for my grandmother who used to tell me how beautiful i am each and everyday. It boosted my confidence a bit. Sometimes i wanted to dress like them but my body never allowed me. Sometimes I used to hate myself so much and questioned God why I am like this.  It used to break my heart whenever i walked into a clothing outlet and everything i want is either too long or someone tells me its not ideal for my body.


When i looked at my classmates i used to think everything for them was perfect. Their school uniforms looked so nice on them, they can go into a shop and find the perfect size at once. For me it was a different case, i would buy a normal school uniform then adjust it to my perfect size. It was not guaranteed that it will always come out looking nice. This used to affect my confidence and self-esteem. Kudos to the queen (grandma.... may her soul rest in peace) who always made me feel better.


In Grade 7 i decided to join the fashion and designing classes for fun (lol... which was a complete disaster at first). I started sewing clothes for myself (specifically for my body type). Special thanks to my teacher who was so patient and sometimes after all the effort i put she will tell me "rudunura". Lol.... sometimes i used to cry but it was for my own good. This was a turning point for my self love and embracing my body. I actually realised that you can be different from anyone else and still be amazing. I started adjusting my clothes which my grandma never loved she thought i was wasting. I told her, "Gogo i am my own designer i understand my own body so well, those designers out there dont know my body." It actually boosted my confidence because i started dressing in clothes that i was more comfortable with. I am happy to say that even up to date i never get stressed about buying clothes i am my own designer.


A few things that i have realised in my life journey is:
1. Never compare yourself to other people (comparing yourself is good but never let it depress you) rather be an example.
2. Never be defined by the society's standard of beauty. 
3. LOVE LOVE & LOVE your body. Embrace it, take care of it.




Comments

  1. Wow so inspiring you go girl. May God increase your confidence and shine like a diamond in the sky. Love u my friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. May God continue blessing you Cc. Go go girl. Sky is the Limit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! Looking foward to reading more of your stories. ��Shine on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are blessed and highly favored.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly you are an inspiration sis. Mich love to you. Follow me on mine titled telling my story the best way I can

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Inspirationa,keep on keeping on

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Self acceptance

The Healing Power of Opening up your Feelings and Thoughts

Let's get personal